Monday, March 08, 2010

Lost in Time, Letters Confine American Grief for a President

Days after President John F. Kennedy was killed, Dr. Ira Seiler sat at his desk and wrote a letter of concern to his widow, Jacqueline Kennedy.

“Today, on Thanksgiving, I wholeheartedly sense his death for it was just three years ago today that I forced my breath into the lungs of his newly born son,” Dr. Seiler wrote. John F. Kennedy Jr. was born premature, Dr. Seiler, a pediatric resident, said he placed a tube in the baby’s trachea and breathed air into his lungs.

“I met your husband only once after this but the part I played in saving his son’s life gave me a feeling of deep closeness to your husband,” Dr. Seiler wrote. He added “I only wish I had been able to give my life in place of that of your husband. He had so much to offer.”
For more details visit website : http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/09/us/09kennedy.html

No comments: